HomeCommunity InformationEditorialNews ArchivesSports

Lake County Sentinel
Blue Devils edged by Trinity 61-60 

Entering Saturday’s game at Wickliffe High School’s Gymnasium the home Blue Devils were 3-2. The visiting Trinity Trojans entered 2-3. When the dust settled in a good CVC battle both teams were 3-3 as the Trojans edged the Blue Devils 61-60.

Neither team looked like they wanted to score early as it took 2:26 into the game when the Blue Devils final put points on the board when senior Owen Malaney hit a 3-point basket to give Wickliffe the early lead. The Blue Devils eventually built a 9-3 lead, but that’s where things changed. The first quarter ended with the Blue Devils leading the Trojans 11-10.

The second quarter began with Trinity amid a 14-4 run led by Braylyn Irbey who scored eight points during the stretch to give the Trojans a 17-13 lead. The rest of the first half did not get much better for the Blue Devils as the Trojans took a 28-20 lead to the locker room.

The Blue Devils were able to keep up with the Trojans and freshman center Jayquan Stubbs. Stubbs led Trinity with 17 points in the game. He dominated the middle and is a name to remember as he will continue to improve over the next four years. The third quarter score ended with Trinity maintaining their eight-point margin at 48-40.

Wickliffe was not going away as they made a 7-2 run to start the final quarter cutting the lead to three at 50-47. The Blue Devils continued to close the gap until the 2:54 mark of the 4th when senior Bryant Murphy drained a layup to tie the game at 55-55. The Trojans regained the lead at 58-55 with three consecutive free throws. The Blue Devils the tied the score again at 58-58 when junior Shawn Derganc hit a layup and was fouled and put the free throw through the cylinder. With 58.4 left on the clock the Trojans again took the lead at 59-58 when junior Dom Locklear drained one of two free throws. The Blue Devils took their final lead of the game with 26.4 left when Malaney drained two free throws giving the Wickliffe a 60-59 lead. Trinity iced the game with 11.5 left when Stubbs was fouled and nailed both free throws giving the Trojans a 61-60 lead. The Blue Devils could not get another shot off before the buzzer.

Derganc led all scorers with 18 points in the loss. Stubbs led the Trojans with 17 points in the victory.

The Blue Devils will be in action again on Wednesday when they are home and will welcome the Grand Valley Mustangs at 7 p.m. 
tshirer@lakecountysentinel.com follow Tim on Twitter @TBBucsTim or follow us on Twitter @LCSentinelcom 
​POSTED 12/11/2021 19:41
                                                                         Photo by Tim Shirer